Role of Dentist in Menstruation: Question to Care for Females
Keywords:Dentist, Female, Gingivitis, Mensuration, Oral Hygiene
Menstruation & menstrual practices are still bounded by socio cultural restriction & taboos resulting in adolescent girls remain ignorant of scientific facts & hygienic practices during menstruation. Menstruation brings with it a bundle of problems like period pains, nausea, heavy bleeding and behavioral changes. Menstrual cycle may influence the health of females’ teeth, gums and oral cavity due to certain hormonal imbalances. For maintaining the good oral hygiene dentist can play important role in guiding and helping females on menstruation for various dental treatment.
Dasgupta A, Sarkar M. Menstrual hygiene: how hygienic is the adolescent girl?. Indian Journal of Community
Medicine 2008; 33(2): 77-80.
Day H. Normalizing menstruation, empowering girls.Lancet Child & Adolescent Health 2018; 2(6): 379.
Research on menstrual hygiene management in the Pacific: Solomon Islands, Fiji, and Papua New Guinea.
Kaundal M, Thakur B. A dialogue on menstrual taboo.Indian Journal of Community Health 2014; 26(2): 192-
Bhartiya A. Menstruation, religion and society. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity
; 3(6): 523-527.
Patel RH, Patel RR. Cross sectional study on menstruation and menstrual hygiene among medical students of
Valsad, Gujarat. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology 2016; 5(12):
Byrne J. Menstrual cycle & dental surgery. Available from: https://www.livestrong.com/article/295939-
Arora D. Did you know your periods can give you gum disease or lead to menstrual gingivitis? Available from:
Greenfield P. Menstrual cycle. 2012. Available from: https://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/
Menstruation. Australian Dental Association. Available from: https://www.ada.org.au/Dental-Health-
Jacobson C. Menstrual cycle. 2016. Available from: http://deltadentalazblog.com/your-menstrual-cycleaffects-
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Advanced Research in Dental and Oral Health (ISSN: 2456-141X)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
We, the undersigned, give an undertaking to the following effect with regard to our article entitled
________________________________________________________________________________” submitted for publication in (Journal title)________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________Vol.________, Year _________:-
1. The article mentioned above has not been published or submitted to or accepted for publication in any form, in any other journal.
2. We also vouchsafe that the authorship of this article will not be contested by anyone whose name(s) is/are not listed by us here.
3. I/We declare that I/We contributed significantly towards the research study i.e., (a) conception, design and/or analysis and interpretation of data and to (b) drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content and on (c) final approval of the version to be published.
4. I/We hereby acknowledge ADRs conflict of interest policy requirement to scrupulously avoid direct and indirect conflicts of interest and, accordingly, hereby agree to promptly inform the editor or editor's designee of any business, commercial, or other proprietary support, relationships, or interests that I/We may have which relate directly or indirectly to the subject of the work.
5. I/We also agree to the authorship of the article in the following sequence:-
Authors' Names (in sequence) Signature of Authors
1. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
2. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
3. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
4. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
5. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
6. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
7. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
8. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
(I). All the authors are required to sign independently in this form in the sequence given above. In case an author has left the institution/ country and whose whereabouts are not known, the senior author may sign on his/ her behalf taking the responsibility.
(ii). No addition/ deletion/ or any change in the sequence of the authorship will be permissible at a later stage, without valid reasons and permission of the Editor.
(iii). If the authorship is contested at any stage, the article will be either returned or will not be
processed for publication till the issue is solved.