Specific Health Protection Services in Antenatal Care Rendered by Government of India
Keywords:Immunization, Nutritional Services, Family Welfare, Public Health Programmes
Background/ Problem Statement: Antenatal care (ANC) denotes the
care offered by trained healthcare authorities all through the pregnancy
to establish that both mother and baby be given the excellent health
facilities. Preventive services during antenatal care include ante-natal
visits, prenatal advice, and specific health protection. Other components
of antenatal care include mental preparation, family planning, and
paediatric unit. Specific protection is basically primary prevention,
aim to reduce the incidence of disease, carried out by protection of
health through personal and community efforts, such as facility of
immunizations, safeguarding improved nutritional status, and getting
rid of environmental health menaces directed for high risk individuals
and groups, achieved through public health programmes. In a country
like India, there are still thousands of women who lack basic health
amenitities in their childbearing age, and specifically in pregnancy
particularly in rural and remote areas. This eventually increases the
Objective: In the present paper, an attempt has been made explore
different facilities/ schemes rendered by the Government of India (GOI)
to minimise the health risk of expecting mothers and the newborns.
Methodology: Various literature comprising online data bases including
reputed journals related to public health services in community medicine
specifically government schemes for the pregnant women in remote
areas to provide basic and necessary health care to them and their
newborn were searched.
Discussion & Conclusion: Many schemes have been launched by the
government of India to protect and safeguard the health of the expecting
mothers and their newborn with special attention to the high risk
mothers, in rural areas, those who are deprived of the basic and
necessary amenities and to reduce the disease burden. The government
of India has put forward many services for the pregnant mothers, such
as Nutritional services, Immunization services, Medicinal services, Family
welfare services, Educational services to ensure a healthy mother and
child development for a healthy nation.
Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, Dashe JS,
Hoffman BL, Casey BM, Spong CY. Williams Obstetrics.
nd ed. New York: Mcgraw-Hill: 2005.
Hiralal Konar. Textbook of Obstetrics. 7th ed. Kolkata:
New Central Book Agency (P) Ltd; 2004;100,599,600,
Asma Rahim. Principles and Practice of Community
Medicine. New Delhi: Jaypee Publishers; 2008;377.
Lalita D Haremath, Dhananjaya Hiremath. Essentials
of Community Medicine: A Practical Approach. 2nd
ed. NewDelhi: Jaypee Publishers; 2012;3,107,108,109.
Park K. Park’s Text Book of Preventive and Social
Medicine. 25th ed. Jabalpur: M/S Banarsidas Bhanot
Publishers; 2019;13, 14, 109, 401,791.
Suryakantha Community Medicine with Recent
Advances. 3rd ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Publishers;
CS. Dawn Textbook of Obstetrics, Neonatology and
Reproductive and Child Health Education Revised 16th
ed. Kolkata: Down Books; 2004;17.
MoHFW [Internet]. Chapter 4, Annual Report 2012-
Maternal Health Programmes [cited 2021 Feb 25].
Available from: https://main.mohfw.gov.in/documents/
Copyright (c) 2021 Syeda Ayeman Mazhar, Rubi Anjum, Suboohi Mustafa, Yumna Arif
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
We, the undersigned, give an undertaking to the following effect with regard to our article entitled
________________________________________________________________________________” submitted for publication in (Journal title)________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________Vol.________, Year _________:-
1. The article mentioned above has not been published or submitted to or accepted for publication in any form, in any other journal.
2. We also vouchsafe that the authorship of this article will not be contested by anyone whose name(s) is/are not listed by us here.
3. I/We declare that I/We contributed significantly towards the research study i.e., (a) conception, design and/or analysis and interpretation of data and to (b) drafting the article or revising it critically for important intellectual content and on (c) final approval of the version to be published.
4. I/We hereby acknowledge ADRs conflict of interest policy requirement to scrupulously avoid direct and indirect conflicts of interest and, accordingly, hereby agree to promptly inform the editor or editor's designee of any business, commercial, or other proprietary support, relationships, or interests that I/We may have which relate directly or indirectly to the subject of the work.
5. I/We also agree to the authorship of the article in the following sequence:-
Authors' Names (in sequence) Signature of Authors
1. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
2. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
3. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
4. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
5. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
6. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
7. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
8. _____________________________________ _____________________________________
(I). All the authors are required to sign independently in this form in the sequence given above. In case an author has left the institution/ country and whose whereabouts are not known, the senior author may sign on his/ her behalf taking the responsibility.
(ii). No addition/ deletion/ or any change in the sequence of the authorship will be permissible at a later stage, without valid reasons and permission of the Editor.
(iii). If the authorship is contested at any stage, the article will be either returned or will not be
processed for publication till the issue is solved.